How do we know if a Facebook presence makes sense for your company? An essential question asked by Lee Odden in his blog today.
As with all online marketing , including social media and networks, working out which social communities your business should engage with in order to achieve a particular desired outcome starts with knowing a few key things – a few key things on which Lee Odden goes into some detail on his Top Rank blog. To summarise:
What characterises the customer or conversation that you’re after?
What’s your hypothesis about how Facebook will help you reach a business goal?
What approach to the social web makes the most sense for engaging identified customer personas/profiles and communities for your desired business outcome?
To the extent that Facebook appears as an answer to these questions, it will become clear whether Facebook makes sense as part of an online marketing and social media strategy that will serve your business well. These questions are essential for just about any kind of online marketing, not just social media and not just for Facebook.
A Social Media Manager can help you develop this strategy, answering these questions with you from the position of experience of what has worked and for which type of business.
The questions above will lead you to establishing a demographic for the people you want to get in front of.
What is the demographic for Facebook?
Recently Ken Burbary shared an excellent compendium of Facebook demographic information on Facebook: Facebook Demographics Revisited – 2011 Statistics.
Facebook.com average user figures and facts:
- Average user has 130 friends on the site
- Average user sends 8 friend requests per month
- Average user spends an average 15 hours and 33 minutes on Facebook per month
- Average user visits the site 40 times per month
- Average user spends an 23 minutes (23:20 to be precise) on each visit
- Average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events
- Average user creates 90 pieces of content each month
- 200 million people access Facebook via a mobile device each day
- More than 30 billion pieces of content are shared each day
- Users that access Facebook on mobile devices are twice as active on Facebook compared to non-mobile users
- Facebook generates a staggering 770 billion page views per month
Source: facebook.com, pingdom.com
Have you set goals for your business that you can use Facebook to help you achieve?
Read the full article by Lee Odden here